Vista DUI Lawyer
Aggressive Drunk Driving Defense for Drivers Across North County
A drunk driving charge can happen to anyone. Even if you felt sober enough to drive after having a drink, the law is clear when it comes to intoxicated driving. But DUIs are beatable, and we can help you fight them. If you have been arrested for DUI in Vista, contact jD LAW. Our Vista criminal defense attorney has the qualifications to protect your future.
jD LAW is ready to defend DUI charges relating to:
- First-time DUI: First-time offenders may have the option for lesser penalties, with the right defense.
- Multiple DUI: A second, third, or fourth DUI charge will be punished more harshly, especially if they are within a shorter time frame.
- Underage DUI: Those under the age of 21 may be facing harsher penalties and risk jeopardizing their future without a strong defense.
- Out-of-state DUI: Vista attracts many visitors. We can resolve charges for tourists and out-of-state residents.
- Felony DUI: If your charge involves injuries, death, or three or more convictions in the past 10 years, it’s a felony DUI.
- Federal DUI: If you are found driving while drunk in a national park such as Cabrillo National Monument, Switzer Canyon, Sunset Cliffs, etc., it will be charged in federal court.
- Military DUI: We can represent military personnel in military court and protect your career.
- Restricted license: We can help you seek a restricted license that allows you to keep limited driving privileges.
- Vehicular manslaughter: If another person is killed in a DUI crash, you could be facing tough penalties.
- We can also assist with DMV hearings and help defend against driver’s license suspension.
DUI Penalties in Vista
If convicted of a DUI, a person may face many possible penalties. For a first-time offense, you could be sentenced to anywhere between four days and six months in jail. You may also be required to pay up to $1,000 in fines. A license suspension of four months is typical, but if you were under the age of 21, that may be increased to a one-year suspension. If you had a high blood alcohol content, you may have to attend at least three months of DUI school. The court will also have discretion as to whether your vehicle is impounded, or if it requires an interlock ignition device.
DUI penalties increase for subsequent offenses. If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to one year in jail, fines up to $1,000, and a one-year suspension of your license. Your vehicle may be seized and sold, and a conviction could also result in up to 30 months of San Diego’s Driving Under the Influence Program, depending on if it is your second, third, or fourth offense.
The penalties for a DUI conviction in Vista are significant, even for first offense. Fortunately, there are defenses available, and jD LAW knows how to use them.
Effective Defenses to DUI Charges
There are ways to effectively challenge DUI charges, even if there is convincing evidence against you, such as blood and breath tests.
Attorney James N. Dicks is a former police officer who is well aware of the flaws in DUI testing. Mr. Dicks understands that your arrest and detainment could have been done illegally. He also knows that there is often insufficient evidence to support a DUI charge. If the arresting officer lacked probable cause to make a traffic stop in the first place, Mr. Dicks will find out and use the information to get the case thrown out of court. He knows that the equipment used during a breathalyzer or blood test is often defective or mishandled, which can affect the results.
During his time as a narcotics investigator with the LAPD, Mr. Dicks was at the center of many criminal cases. He knows exactly where police officers might cut corners and deny the accused his or her rights. If there was a violation pertaining to the reading of your Miranda rights, or evidence showing you successfully passed a field sobriety test, he will present these facts in court. That evidence could be enough to get charges dropped or the case dismissed.
We Can Help Protect Your Future – Call to Learn More
There is a lot at stake in DUI charges. You could be facing steep fines, lose your driver’s license, and even spend time in jail. Let our Vista DUI lawyer fight to protect you from these penalties.
As a board-certified criminal law specialist, James N. Dicks is prepared to go above and beyond to build a strong, effective defense for you.
Give us a call at (760) 630-2000. We’re ready to listen to you.
We Can Fight for You at the Following Courthouses:
220 Main Street
Brawley, CA 92227
1100 Union Street
San Diego, CA 92101
El Centro Court
939 West Main Street
El Centro, CA 92243
North County Center
325 South Melrose
Drive, Vista, CA 92081
South County Center
500 3rd Avenue
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Southwest Justice Center
30755-D Auld Road
Murrieta, CA 92563
Southwest Juvenile Court
30755-G Auld Road
Murrieta, CA 92563
El Cajon Courthouse
250 E Main St #1
El Cajon, CA 92020
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation
- February 20, 2019
San Diego Pro Skater Charged with Intent to Sell Meth
- February 13, 2019
Multiple DUIs: Is It Groundhog Day?
- January 22, 2019
jD LAW, P.C. Supports the San Diego Generals