The DRE Checklist
When dealing with a Drug Recognition Expert they must conduct an evaluation on you that is completely systematic and standardized. They will:
- Evaluate your appearance
- Assess your behavior
- Measure and record your vital signs
- Make precise observations of the automatic responses and reactions of your eyes
- Administer designed psychophysical tests that will allow them to evaluate your judgment
- Evaluate your information processing ability
- Evaluate coordination and other characteristics
In essence this assessment breaks down into twelve components. There is a DRE checklist that must be followed each time they conduct an evaluation. The reason this checklist is important to your case is because a DRE must perform the evaluation the same way every time. Mistakes are made when it's not performed right and more importantly for your defense, this could mean the court might not accept the DREs testimony. In our next twelve blogs, we will break down each step that a DRE is required to take.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a DUI with drugs, call our offices today for a free consultation. Criminal Defense Attorney James N. Dicks specializes in DUI cases and with over 25 years of legal experience, he can help you.
Source: A training manual for the Drug Evaluation and Classification Program
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation